University of California, RiversideUCR

 Do I qualify?  

Federal School Code: 001316

Types of Aid - Grants  

Get a Grant

Grants are generally awarded to students who demonstrate the greatest financial need. Your financial aid package will include grants whenever federal or state regulations, UCR awarding policies, and available funding levels permit. Students must meet on-time aid deadlines to qualify for grants, and must enroll at least half-time.

For a Federal Pell Grant or state Cal Grant, you must be enrolled in at least 12 units each quarter to receive the full amount. Part-time awards are prorated for less than full-time enrollment according to the following schedule:

  • 3/4 time = 9 to 11.5 units (75% of grant)
  • 1/2 time = 6 to 8.5 units (50% of grant)

Note: Less than 1/2 time = 1 to 5.5 units. Pell Grants may be awarded for less than half-time enrollment, but UCR Grants and Cal Grants will be canceled for less than half-time enrollment.  

What you should know:  Grants do NOT have to be repaid. The federal government provides funds for some grants (Federal Pell Grant and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant). The State of California also offers three grants to qualified undergraduate and Teaching Credential students. In addition, grant funds are provided by the University of California.

See below for an overview of grants: 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

SEOG is a need-based grant funded by the federal government, ranging from $100 to $4,000 per academic year. Recipients must be enrolled at least half time. SEOG is awarded to qualified undergraduate students with no prior baccalaureate degrees who have exceptional financial need. First priority is given to students with the lowest expected family contributions.

Cal Grants

These renewable awards are offered by the State of California to residents of California who are U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens. CSAC determines eligibility for the following grants based on academic achievement and financial need. Students must meet GPA requirements and family income and asset requirements.

Eligible students are expected to apply for Cal Grants by submitting the FAFSA and GPA Verification Form. Renewal awards are based on continued financial eligibility and maintaining satisfactory academic progress. Check your Cal Grant award eligibility and/or report changes on the Student Aid Commission’s website

Cal Grant A

Available to entering and continuing students who are enrolled at least half time, the grant is awarded based on financial need and GPA. Awards cover system-wide fees and range from $100 to $12,192 per academic year.

Cal Grant B

This grant is initially awarded to very low-income students who are enrolled at least half time. First-year awards are usually limited to non-fee costs: subsistence stipends for books, supplies and living expenses. A Cal Grant B award may also cover system-wide fees when renewed. Awards range from $100 to $13,692 per academic year. 

Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement Award

Available to eligible students enrolled at least half-time who graduate from a California high school, enroll in a community college in the spring, and then transfer to a qualifying California institution that offers a bachelor’s degree for the subsequent fall term.

Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement awards are based on financial need and GPA. Award amounts are the same as the Cal Grant A and Cal Grant B programs. Transfer applicants must complete a Transfer Entitlement Cal Grant Certification Form (Form G-6) to receive this award. This form is usually available mid-March of each academic year.

Cal Grant A or B Teaching Credential Program Grant

This grant is available to renewal Cal Grant A and Cal Grant B recipients who are enrolled at least half time, in an approved professional teacher preparation program, and within 15 months of the end of the last term in which they received an undergraduate Cal Grant award.

Awards cover system-wide fees and range from $100 to $12,192 for renewal Cal Grant A recipients and $13,692 for renewal Cal Grant B recipients per academic year. Teaching Credential students must complete a "Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Program Benefits" Form G-44 to receive this award.

California Chafee Grant

Available to qualified foster youth and former foster youth for college courses or vocational school training. Award amounts range up to $5,000 per academic year. Chafee Grant applicants must complete a FAFSA and a California Chafee Grant Program application.

Federal Pell Grants

Awards are available to undergraduate financial aid applicants who will not have received a baccalaureate degree by July 1, 2013 and Teaching Credential students with an Expected Family Contribution of $5,081 or less. Awards range from $600 to $5,645 per academic year in 2013-14.

To maintain maximum eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant, you must be enrolled in at least 12 units each quarter. Part time awards are prorated for less than full time enrollment according to the following schedule:

  • 3/4 time = 9 to 11.5 units
  • 1/2 time = 6 to 8.5 units
  • Less than 1/2 time = 1 to 5.5 units

UCR Grant

UCR Grants are awarded to eligible undergraduate students from funding provided by the Regents of the University of California and the State of California. Recipients must be on-time aid applicants enrolled at least half time. Award amounts are determined based on family income and financial need. Students who exceed 18 quarters of attendance or the equivalent will lose eligibility for the UCR Grant.


The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides grants up to $4,000 to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. The maximum annual award amount is established by Congress, and may be subject to change. The maximum award for 2014-15 is expected to be $3,760.

Teaching Obligation

In exchange for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must be a highly-qualified, full-time teacher in a high-need subject area for at least four years at a school serving low-income students. You must complete the four years of teaching within eight years of finishing the program for which you received the grant.

You incur a four-year teaching obligation for each educational program for which you received TEACH Grant funds, although you may work off multiple four-year obligations simultaneously under certain circumstances. Read the TEACH Grant Fact sheet .

UCR’s Eligibility Requirements

At the University of California, Riverside, you must:

  • Complete the FAFSA .
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Be enrolled as a graduate or post-baccalaureate teaching credential student in UCR’s Graduate School of Education Master of Education (M.Ed.) program or teaching credential program.
  • Be enrolled as an upperclassman (junior or senior) student in the UCR Ca-TEACH SMI program who has successfully completed EDUC 003 or EDUC 004. All other programs are ineligible.
  • Be enrolled in coursework that is necessary to begin a career in teaching or plan to complete such coursework. Such coursework may include subject area courses (e.g., math courses for a student who intends to be a math teacher).
  • Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 throughout the academic year.
  • Sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve

Award Status

M.Ed. and teaching credential students should contact the Graduate School of Education (GSOE) for eligibility determination.
Students will be notified by the Financial Aid Office if they are eligible to receive the TEACH Grant. Once you’ve been offered the TEACH Grant, you may accept and/or decline the award via GROWL .

Don’t Forget

Failure to complete the teaching obligation, respond to requests for information, or properly document your teaching service will cause the TEACH Grant to be permanently converted to a loan with interest. Once a grant is converted to a loan it can’t be converted back to a grant!

Learn more about the TEACH Grant program online or by contacting UCR’s Financial Aid Office at 951-827-3878.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

UCR Financial Aid Office
900 University Ave.

Tel: 951-827-3878
Fax: 951-827-5619
E-mail: finaid@ucr.edu